Today. I watched the movie Hanuman Ansh. I found that the movie was made with a lot of love and devotion. I recall reading the book "Search for Secret India" written by Paul Brunton long ago. I believe around 2008. Paul Brunton came to India, met many yogis during his stay, and witnessed many miracles. Being a logical mind, he did not believe in them, but he had no choice. I have never visited Kainchi Dham, so I have no idea about Baba's magical powers.
But the moot question is not whether he had magical powers. Rather, the moot question is what the centre of his life was. The centre of his life was truth, as shown in the movie, and he settled for nothing less than truth. Leaving home at the tender age of 12 in search of truth is not a joke. I look at our kids, who feel so privileged that they will not leave any stone unturned to force their demands on us. If a child has that strong determination at the age of 12 to know the truth and then he can meditate in all sorts of difficult situations with purity of purpose, that's really commendable.
I also liked to see the reactions of the people around him. Father, despite knowing that his son has progressed so far in his spiritual journey, somehow wants to tie him to the family. He forces him to come back to take care of his wife. Friends, for whom his sadhna is just fun, want him to give sweets and other things to them by magic. Many other people who are with him want the donations to go to the temple so they can take care of their families with that money. He did not lose the purity of his purpose in the midst of all these things.
I don't know how many of us can maintain that purity of purpose. I feel that requires absolute vairagya from the other things. Had anything in this world, except the love for his country, attracted Bhagat Singh, he could not have sacrificed his life for the country. Is it only a few who can connect to that oneness? No. Each one of us can. But then why are only a few of us able to do that? Because we are so attached to so many things. We just want to use "God" to bless us with what we like. If my child demands a mobile phone, which will spoil his studies, why would I give it to him? Probably, the Almighty wants all of us to connect to Him. But we are busy with worldly things. Even when we have the opportunity to visit sacred places, we just pray to God for what we want. We never ever question what we really need.
I feel that the purpose of the lives of all the saints is to show the world that there is immense possibility in this human birth. It also shows that chasing material pleasures is like chasing a mirage, and that won't make us happy. It also shows mankind that true happiness lies in love, compassion, and exploration. But the irony is that people make such saints into a new God and start demanding from them what they desire. I believe that everybody has different takeaways. For some, such movies reaffirm their belief in a saint's divinity; some become curious; some become believers, while others simply reject these stories. None of them is the purpose of the lives of these saints. They just come to reconnect us to the divinity within. To bring purity of purpose to our lives so that we do not waste our lives in mindless accumulations and endless pursuit of happiness. They tell us that happiness lies in contentment and connecting to the inner world.
Comments