Skip to main content

Stress in Present Day World

Modern life is full of stress. You talk to anybody, whether working or not, whether in a job or in business, whether living in a small city or a metro, whether married or single; everybody is equally stressed. Why? Because most of us want to "become" somebody. A student wants to become a graduate; a civil services aspirant wants to become an officer; an unmarried man wants to become a husband; a poor person wants to become rich; a powerless person wants to become powerful; a stupid person wants to become intelligent; and an unrealised person wants to become enlightened.

Seeking makes us work. We work hard and get exhausted. So what's the problem? That's the way the world works. That's why society appreciates achievers. That's why different awards are announced every year. We motivate our children to work hard so they can achieve different milestones. Yes, of course. But do we notice something very obvious? The moment we set a target to achieve a certain outcome, two things happen for sure. 

First, we feel deficient automatically. We can't set a target to earn money unless we feel short of money. We can't set a target to gather power unless we feel deficient in power. We can't set a target to enter into a relationship unless we feel deficient being alone. The more deficient we are, the more desperate we will be to achieve the target. That means that the strength of motivation to achieve a certain outcome is directly proportional to the degree of deficiency. Second, outcome targets are always based on our perception of the world at the time we set them. As we grow, our perception of the world changes, and that's why, unless we evaluate our targets constantly, we risk ending up disappointed. 

Any intelligent person will see that when we set a target to become, we create sorrow at two different levels. First, we make ourselves feel deficient. Unless we make that mental story of being deficient, and unless that story is really strong, we don't have enough motivation to do the hard work and face the testing moments on the way. That means that until we reach the intended outcome, we will hold on to the mental story of being insufficient. And imagine what will happen after reaching the target. We will just realise that the story we held so dear to our heart was actually out of sync with reality. We thought the outcome would make us happy, but along the way we got exposed, and now we no longer feel happy with the same outcome. Isn't it the story of every human being on this Earth? So, we suffered during the process due to the mental story of being deficient, and even after reaching the goal post, we feel cheated.

That's why we always remain stressed. What's the way out? Very simple. We just need to find out which actions we enjoy. Once we enjoy the process, we don't need to hold on to any story of being deficient. If I write this blog because I enjoy writing, I don't need to achieve any milestone. I don't need appreciation or likes. I don't need followers. I enjoy the process of writing, and that's why half an hour or forty minutes of writing the blog gives me immense joy. Since I don't have a target in mind, there is no question of disappointment either because I can't achieve it or because I realise its futility after achieving it. The more time I spend with the same spirit, enjoying the process, the more my life will be full of joy. It just requires rethinking the fundamental questions "Who am I?" and "Why have I come to this Earth?" The outcome-centred people will answer that I am an aspirant who aspires to become "X". Process-centred people will answer that I am what I am, and I am here to enjoy what I do. That makes all the difference. When one takes joy in the process, there is no question of stress. 

Does that mean we should take joy in everything we do? Does that mean that there is no choice when it comes to action? Not at all. There is always a choice. But what matters is the genesis of choice. Is this choice coming from the desire to reach a goal post, or from a realisation that we are complete? When we go to the office and do the work, our motivation may come from the desire for a promotion or a certain award. On the contrary, motivation may also come from a willingness to apply our mental faculties to find the best possible solution, from love and compassion for the people we work for, or from the drive to create something new. An author who takes joy in writing will choose to write the most meaningful and creative pieces rather than write for money or recognition. Of course, he will not choose to write a bad piece. A wise person will always choose meaningful discussions rather than time-wasting debates that lead nowhere. People living a process-centred life make choices every moment that are guided by love and exploration. So, stress seems closely tied to the most fundamental life choice. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Awareness

 I presented a paper on Vipassana long back at Delhi University, and at that time, a professor there asked me a question: "Who realises the temporality of the sensations when we practice Vipassana: the mind or something else?" That question stayed with me. I told him about my experience in Estonia. Once, I went on an office tour in Estonia, where it was extremely cold at around -15 degrees. I walked outdoors for quite a long time and developed severe stomach pain. With no medicines available to me and no doctor to visit, I sat in Vipassana and began observing sensations. After about an hour of observation, the pain disappeared. I told him that I don't know whether that was a realisation of the mind or something else, but the same brain that experienced pain some time back had no pain after some time.  The question is who was feeling the pain and where that pain disappeared after observation. When we sit in Vipassana, our minds are full of so many thoughts. Usually, our m...

A "home" decorated with "bonsai"

 Somebody gifted a plant sometime back. When I look at the plant on the Table, it appears to me as if the plant had the potential to grow into a big tree, but we confined the little plant within the limits of the pot, and it has grown strangely. It has a thick stem but has small leaves and branches. We have designed the plants to look the way we like. What "I" want is more important than what the "plant" is. The plant will grow the way "I" like it to grow. And then, "I" would also claim that "I" love the plant.  Yesterday, I went to a coaching institute to get some test series for a competitive exam for my daughter. The guide there spoke for around 40-45 minutes on the risks and chances of getting selected in different competitive examinations. So much competition. Fear is instilled into the minds of the students from the very beginning. Everything is around fear. If they are not able to get enrolment in a professional course , they wi...

Do we love anybody?

Are we competent to love? It seems a very strange statement in the first instance. Do we need any competence to love? Love seems so natural. But the strange thing is that most of us do not love even ourselves. Do we? What do we love? Our self-image, our beliefs, body, and ambitions. "I" am good, and the others should appreciate me for being good. "I" believe in a particular thought or religion, and consider myself to be a sum-total of these thoughts and beliefs. "I" and my body, and therefore want to protect the body and become anxious whenever there is a threat to the body or a disease that does not get cured. "I" also become happy when this body feels instinctive pleasure, such as after eating tasty food, doing shopping, travelling to a place "I" like. "I" am my ambitions and work hard to achieve my targets. What is love, on the other hand? Love is a complete merger. When there is no difference between "I" and ...