Skip to main content

Do we have the capacity to share with transparency?

A highway where cars, trucks, and buses move very smoothly. Every vehicle follows the rules, maintains a safe distance, and keeps a steady speed. A hotel where every decorative item, chair, piece of furniture, and flower is very nicely arranged. A garden where the gardener has kept the plants in excellent shape. A relationship where both partners know their boundaries well, respect each other, and give each other space. A society where systems are in place, people follow the norms, and no one backstabs anyone else. A place where the weather is neither too hot nor too cold, and where walking under the open sky is fun.

All the great systems aim at harmony. They are based on the concept of "workability". Live and let life. Respect others and get respected. Respect boundaries in relationships. All the vehicles on the highway are individual units, and yet they maintain harmony on the road. Harmony has its own attraction and utility. Who would like to drive on a highway full of traffic jams, where vehicles move erratically, or where someone may come from the wrong side at any time? Who would like a hotel where everything is in disorder? Who would like a relationship where partners fight every now and then? Who would like to live in a society where people follow no rules? Harmony is any day more attractive than disharmony.

Imagine people living in their comfortable apartments in a building but having no relationship with each other. What would life be like in that building? Would we want to live in a building with no social life? Most people would not like it. This is because our natural instinct is to meet people, mix with them, get to know each other, and share emotions. We don't like isolation and solitude. That's why the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita provides that no prisoner can be punished with solitary confinement for too long. This is because a person will go mad if he is kept in solitary confinement for a long time. That's why buildings and colonies where people celebrate festivals together and build emotional bonds are liked by everyone.

But the question remains: "Do we really share?" "Do we really open up?" I have been researching astrology for the last 15 years. In the process, so many people consulted their charts. When I look at their charts and enter their dark chambers, they suddenly open up and tell me their deepest secrets, which they generally don't share even with their closest relatives. I realised closeness is a myth, and people generally maintain a sense of separation from everyone. I don't think people share their darkest secrets with anyone. Why? Because we don't feel safe enough with anyone to disclose them. We worry we might be blackmailed later. We don't trust that the other person will keep it secret. Somehow, we don't want our image, which we have planted in the minds of people around us, to be damaged. That's why we are utmost cautious.

These secrets may be only a few or many. It does not matter much. What matters is how deeply we identify with the self-image which we want to protect. Some time back, I watched the movie "Kamla Ki Maut" where Pankaj Kapoor played the role of a father who is worried about the incident in his chawl where a girl became pregnant before marriage and committed suicide. He worries about his daughters and recalls his past, when he too had a similar relationship. He wants to tell his wife but stops himself, realising that disclosing it will spoil their relationship. To keep the relationship workable, he decides to keep the secret hidden in the dark chamber of his mind. He chooses workability over transparency.

Workable relationships may look attractive from a distance; up close, however, they feel suffocating. At the same time, transparency is not easy. Transparency demands that we let the other person know even our darkest secrets. It also demands that we develop the capacity to understand the other person's life. If two friends live in different worlds, one in a small village and the other travelling the globe, the first must work hard to develop the capacity to understand his friend's experiences. A scientist cannot share his experience with a friend who has no interest in science. Sharing means merging, which can't happen until one of them retains that secret dark chamber or can't understand the other's language. Neither is easy because, generally, we never make the other person a priority. Instead, we either maintain that self-image by keeping the secrets of that dark chamber, or we live comfortably rather than building the capacity to understand the other. Sharing is never one-way traffic. Both people have to be equally eager and make real effort. It feels so strange that, most of the time, we prefer to stay with our ego rather than set out on such a beautiful journey of sharing. We waste our beautiful lives on mindless ego pursuits, and the strangest thing is that the ego makes us feel super-intelligent while doing this stupidity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Awareness

 I presented a paper on Vipassana long back at Delhi University, and at that time, a professor there asked me a question: "Who realises the temporality of the sensations when we practice Vipassana: the mind or something else?" That question stayed with me. I told him about my experience in Estonia. Once, I went on an office tour in Estonia, where it was extremely cold at around -15 degrees. I walked outdoors for quite a long time and developed severe stomach pain. With no medicines available to me and no doctor to visit, I sat in Vipassana and began observing sensations. After about an hour of observation, the pain disappeared. I told him that I don't know whether that was a realisation of the mind or something else, but the same brain that experienced pain some time back had no pain after some time.  The question is who was feeling the pain and where that pain disappeared after observation. When we sit in Vipassana, our minds are full of so many thoughts. Usually, our m...

A "home" decorated with "bonsai"

 Somebody gifted a plant sometime back. When I look at the plant on the Table, it appears to me as if the plant had the potential to grow into a big tree, but we confined the little plant within the limits of the pot, and it has grown strangely. It has a thick stem but has small leaves and branches. We have designed the plants to look the way we like. What "I" want is more important than what the "plant" is. The plant will grow the way "I" like it to grow. And then, "I" would also claim that "I" love the plant.  Yesterday, I went to a coaching institute to get some test series for a competitive exam for my daughter. The guide there spoke for around 40-45 minutes on the risks and chances of getting selected in different competitive examinations. So much competition. Fear is instilled into the minds of the students from the very beginning. Everything is around fear. If they are not able to get enrolment in a professional course , they wi...

Do we love anybody?

Are we competent to love? It seems a very strange statement in the first instance. Do we need any competence to love? Love seems so natural. But the strange thing is that most of us do not love even ourselves. Do we? What do we love? Our self-image, our beliefs, body, and ambitions. "I" am good, and the others should appreciate me for being good. "I" believe in a particular thought or religion, and consider myself to be a sum-total of these thoughts and beliefs. "I" and my body, and therefore want to protect the body and become anxious whenever there is a threat to the body or a disease that does not get cured. "I" also become happy when this body feels instinctive pleasure, such as after eating tasty food, doing shopping, travelling to a place "I" like. "I" am my ambitions and work hard to achieve my targets. What is love, on the other hand? Love is a complete merger. When there is no difference between "I" and ...