Skip to main content

घाट-घाट राम बसत हैं भाई, बिन ज्ञान नहीं देत दिखाई

This morning I was just listening to this Bhajan:

मेरा आपकी कृपा से सब काम हो रहा है,

करते हो तुम कन्हैया, मेरा नाम हो रहा है।

I wondered whose work is getting done. Is it truly surrender to the divine will, or just using the divine to get whatever the ego wants? What if things don't happen the way we want them to? What if we get a disease, or there is the death of a close family member, or we get trouble in our career, or we face a crisis in a relationship? Will we still say, "With your blessings, my work is happening"?

The moment I think about "my work", the ego is the centre of our existence. It's very difficult to understand the game ego plays with us. It keeps playing in many different forms, and spirituality and surrender are among its ugliest plays. When somebody suffers from blood cancer, the problem is that whenever doctors transfuse blood into their body, the healthy blood also turns into the same cancerous blood. Whatever volume of healthy blood you transfuse into the patient's body, the cancer cells convert it into cancerous blood. The healthy blood becomes the food of the cancerous cells. Who is the patient fighting against? His own body? The same thing happens in autoimmune disorders. The body's immunity becomes overactive and starts killing healthy cells. If doctors suppress the immune system, other bacteria and viruses can make their way into the body; if they don't, the healthy cells are killed. 

The ego works the same way in the human body. Years of conditioning around "I" and "mine". We look at every event and everything with the same thoughts. "What is there in it for me?" The "me" is limited, and that's why it rejects anything it doesn't find interesting. The "me" will not like to read the warning on the packet of cigarettes or the warning about the harm done by alcohol. It will not like to see what "greed" is doing to "me". Like a stubborn child hell-bent on getting the chocolate, "me" will close its eyes to the damage being done to the teeth. "Me" will close its eyes to the wastage of life in the pursuit of targets and goals. "Me" cannot see that what is considered responsibility comes from a deep desire for social validation. The "me" fails to see the cost of social validation. It fails to look at the possibilities. The stubborn child will not see the healthy food because his mind is fixated on the chocolate.

How do you remove the cancerous cells from the body and make it healthy? I think that is the most difficult puzzle scientists are struggling to solve. I don't have an answer. However, sanity demands that we make efforts to keep it away. When we know ego-driven ignorance is so difficult to cure, why don't we stay aware in the first place? Why don't we stay aware in our day-to-day life? When the mind starts making stories and meanings about different things, why don't we see? When our parents tell us that we need to find a match in the same community, why don't we challenge it? Why don't we ask questions about what marriage means? Is marriage about finding a partner who befits the standards of society and family, or is it about companionship? If it is about companionship, what does caste have to do with that? 

Why don't we ask ourselves questions when we set "money" at the centre of life? Last time we went abroad and spent money, how much time did that pleasure last? How many times will we keep repeating the same? Why don't we ask very fundamental questions? How long can we avoid old age? How long can we avoid death? Can we ever be completely safe? Can we ever be fully comfortable? Don't we see the irritation on the faces of people who always live in AC rooms whenever they have to face the heat? The ICU of a hospital does not distinguish between the powerful and the powerless. Both have to go through the same pain. 

If we ask even one of these questions, we will never be blinded by ego. We will always be able to see the genesis of ego-centric thoughts. The most wonderful thing about darkness is: it looks very dangerous, and the fearful mind creates millions of stories; it feels frightened and powerless when it is surrounded by darkness. However, even one ray of light is sufficient to destroy that fear. The moment we ask the right questions, they work as rays of light, and the darkness disappears. Even the worst of fears disappear with self-enquiry. 

Kabir Das ji says:

"सबमें रमै रमावै जोई, ताकर नाम राम अस होई।
घाट-घाट राम बसत हैं भाई, बिन ज्ञान नहीं देत दिखाई॥"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Awareness

 I presented a paper on Vipassana long back at Delhi University, and at that time, a professor there asked me a question: "Who realises the temporality of the sensations when we practice Vipassana: the mind or something else?" That question stayed with me. I told him about my experience in Estonia. Once, I went on an office tour in Estonia, where it was extremely cold at around -15 degrees. I walked outdoors for quite a long time and developed severe stomach pain. With no medicines available to me and no doctor to visit, I sat in Vipassana and began observing sensations. After about an hour of observation, the pain disappeared. I told him that I don't know whether that was a realisation of the mind or something else, but the same brain that experienced pain some time back had no pain after some time.  The question is who was feeling the pain and where that pain disappeared after observation. When we sit in Vipassana, our minds are full of so many thoughts. Usually, our m...

A "home" decorated with "bonsai"

 Somebody gifted a plant sometime back. When I look at the plant on the Table, it appears to me as if the plant had the potential to grow into a big tree, but we confined the little plant within the limits of the pot, and it has grown strangely. It has a thick stem but has small leaves and branches. We have designed the plants to look the way we like. What "I" want is more important than what the "plant" is. The plant will grow the way "I" like it to grow. And then, "I" would also claim that "I" love the plant.  Yesterday, I went to a coaching institute to get some test series for a competitive exam for my daughter. The guide there spoke for around 40-45 minutes on the risks and chances of getting selected in different competitive examinations. So much competition. Fear is instilled into the minds of the students from the very beginning. Everything is around fear. If they are not able to get enrolment in a professional course , they wi...

Do we love anybody?

Are we competent to love? It seems a very strange statement in the first instance. Do we need any competence to love? Love seems so natural. But the strange thing is that most of us do not love even ourselves. Do we? What do we love? Our self-image, our beliefs, body, and ambitions. "I" am good, and the others should appreciate me for being good. "I" believe in a particular thought or religion, and consider myself to be a sum-total of these thoughts and beliefs. "I" and my body, and therefore want to protect the body and become anxious whenever there is a threat to the body or a disease that does not get cured. "I" also become happy when this body feels instinctive pleasure, such as after eating tasty food, doing shopping, travelling to a place "I" like. "I" am my ambitions and work hard to achieve my targets. What is love, on the other hand? Love is a complete merger. When there is no difference between "I" and ...