Skip to main content

Why don't good people take a stand against injustice?

Yesterday, I was discussing with my daughters why people keep tolerating mindlessness in public places. A few people don't do the work they are supposed to do, and it affects so many people's lives. A poorly designed road, someone parking on the side of the road and causing a 15-minute traffic jam, a poorly designed website by an organisation, the unresponsiveness of someone in an important position. Why do people tolerate all this?

They responded that, since the beginning, students are asked to be compliant in the classroom. For everything, they have to take permission. That independence of mind is never inculcated. In fact, whenever somebody takes a stand against injustice, people try to make him understand that he should not get into all these things and should concentrate on his career. I agree with them, and the impact of this attitude is quite evident everywhere. The son does not take a stand when his parents ask him to take dowry; employees do not take a stand when their employers ask them to cheat customers; and people at large do not take a stand when they get bad service from big corporates even after paying.

At the same time, we cannot fight many battles at once, so we have to choose our battles wisely. In the midst of the struggle for survival, finances, getting kids admitted to a good school, and manoeuvring in a world full of scamsters, who has the time to fight all these struggles? Personal struggle takes priority over the common struggle, and that's why generally we do lip service to common matters. It is an RWA matter, and the RWA should look into it. Why should I waste my time and energy on that? The RWA also comprises residents, and they get tired of spending their time and energy every day on never-ending matters.

I don't think that anybody can fight the battle for another. We have to fight our own battles. Imperial rule did not free any country by choice. Every country had to fight their own freedom struggle. I feel quite disappointed when I see people who spend 30-35 years in their career and do not stand for what is right. I have seen them retire unceremoniously because, when they didn't stand with the people who were right, nobody stood with them, and not taking a stand became the organisation's culture. I don't see that as a big problem with Duryodhana. He is greedy and openly admits it. But why did Bhishma and Vidura not stop Duryodhana and Dushasana when Draupadi was being insulted in front of them? If Bhishma could fight the battle of Kurukshetra single-handedly for so many days, he could have taken a stand in that Rajyasabha. The biggest cause of any society's fall is good people who do not take a stand. From their silence, Duryodanas gain the courage to keep exploiting others. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Awareness

 I presented a paper on Vipassana long back at Delhi University, and at that time, a professor there asked me a question: "Who realises the temporality of the sensations when we practice Vipassana: the mind or something else?" That question stayed with me. I told him about my experience in Estonia. Once, I went on an office tour in Estonia, where it was extremely cold at around -15 degrees. I walked outdoors for quite a long time and developed severe stomach pain. With no medicines available to me and no doctor to visit, I sat in Vipassana and began observing sensations. After about an hour of observation, the pain disappeared. I told him that I don't know whether that was a realisation of the mind or something else, but the same brain that experienced pain some time back had no pain after some time.  The question is who was feeling the pain and where that pain disappeared after observation. When we sit in Vipassana, our minds are full of so many thoughts. Usually, our m...

A "home" decorated with "bonsai"

 Somebody gifted a plant sometime back. When I look at the plant on the Table, it appears to me as if the plant had the potential to grow into a big tree, but we confined the little plant within the limits of the pot, and it has grown strangely. It has a thick stem but has small leaves and branches. We have designed the plants to look the way we like. What "I" want is more important than what the "plant" is. The plant will grow the way "I" like it to grow. And then, "I" would also claim that "I" love the plant.  Yesterday, I went to a coaching institute to get some test series for a competitive exam for my daughter. The guide there spoke for around 40-45 minutes on the risks and chances of getting selected in different competitive examinations. So much competition. Fear is instilled into the minds of the students from the very beginning. Everything is around fear. If they are not able to get enrolment in a professional course , they wi...

Kurukshetra Within Ourselves

I watched the Netflix series Kurukshetra today. It's a wonderfully made series and, in fact, made me recall my childhood series of the Mahabharata that used to be telecast on DD. Mahabharata is magical. The most magical thing about the Mahabharata is that it has no straitjacket definition of Dharma . The entire battle of Kurukshetra is for Dharma, and everybody feels that he is fighting the battle for Dharma.  When Bhishma realises that Vichitravirya needs to be married, he goes to the Swamvara of Amba, Ambika, and Ambalika and forcefully brings them to Hastinapur . Ambika and Ambalika are married to Vichitravirya, while Amba carries out penance to take revenge on Bhishma. Why did Bhishma bring these three girls against their wishes to Hastinapur? If Vichitravirya wanted to marry, he should have shown courage and participated in the Swamvara. After all, Swamvara meant that the girls wanted to marry the most courageous person. Bhishma deprived them of their rights for his attac...