Skip to main content

Guddu Ki Mummy

From the mother in Aradhana to the mother in Mirzapur! What a deterioration in a mother's character. Just watch the lowest form first:

https://youtu.be/Mr4osU0C_4w?si=yi2T5WKrlvp6Ki29

"Guddu ki Mummy". What is important to her? Her terror in society's eyes. Her dominance. Because when her husband was unable to get her what she wanted, every day, she experienced the pain. She cursed society. She cribbed. Now she has got a tool. Her son. He is a mindless man with great strength and aggression. He can threaten and kill people. Who carries a gun. Who is Bahubali. She can make him a tool and get whatever she wants. But why was she pained in the very first instance? Why did she not get attracted towards something profound like love, compassion, freedom or exploration?

In contrast, we all remember Vandana in the movie Aradhana, played by Sharmila Tagore. She devoted her entire life to making her son a pilot. She even decided to go to jail for the well-being of his son. Absolute love and nothing other than love. No expectation for self. The unmarried girl would hear all sorts of nonsense from society to bring the child to life and then devote the whole of her life to his well-being. No expectation, no grudge, and when she finally gets to meet him, she would not disclose her identity so that the boy remains unaffected by her past.

Can "Guddu ki Mummy" ever become Vandana? What makes Vandana so loving, and what makes "Guddu ki Mummy" so selfish? Nobody can tell with certainty. But one thing is certain: "Guddu ki Mummy" has a deep inferiority complex. The complex of being less, and she tried to overcome that feeling by using her sons as a tool. Vandana has no complex. Probably because Vandana has examined the limits of the entire known domain. The futility of the social image and self-image. The futility of materialistic pleasures. Or she has experienced something profound. Love, absolute love. And having experienced that purity, she has lost interest in these impurities. 

I feel pity for "Guddu ki Mummy". Her entire life will be wasted on something so substandard. Just seeing fear in the mind of that shopkeeper. Just getting those free groceries. "Guddu ki Mummy" and "Guddu ke Papa" are all around us, trying to achieve something for the other through their children. What they could not become in life. What they could not achieve in life. It hurts to see that so many human beings remain untouched by the profoundness of love, compassion, exploration, and freedom. Who is responsible? The system, society, or themselves? I don't know. Probably life shows us profoundness every moment: when we look at the trees producing oxygen, when we see the children begging on the street, when we see the Sun in the morning and the Moon and stars at night. But somehow, every time we choose to become "Guddu ki Mummy". Quite sad and puzzling. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Awareness

 I presented a paper on Vipassana long back at Delhi University, and at that time, a professor there asked me a question: "Who realises the temporality of the sensations when we practice Vipassana: the mind or something else?" That question stayed with me. I told him about my experience in Estonia. Once, I went on an office tour in Estonia, where it was extremely cold at around -15 degrees. I walked outdoors for quite a long time and developed severe stomach pain. With no medicines available to me and no doctor to visit, I sat in Vipassana and began observing sensations. After about an hour of observation, the pain disappeared. I told him that I don't know whether that was a realisation of the mind or something else, but the same brain that experienced pain some time back had no pain after some time.  The question is who was feeling the pain and where that pain disappeared after observation. When we sit in Vipassana, our minds are full of so many thoughts. Usually, our m...

A "home" decorated with "bonsai"

 Somebody gifted a plant sometime back. When I look at the plant on the Table, it appears to me as if the plant had the potential to grow into a big tree, but we confined the little plant within the limits of the pot, and it has grown strangely. It has a thick stem but has small leaves and branches. We have designed the plants to look the way we like. What "I" want is more important than what the "plant" is. The plant will grow the way "I" like it to grow. And then, "I" would also claim that "I" love the plant.  Yesterday, I went to a coaching institute to get some test series for a competitive exam for my daughter. The guide there spoke for around 40-45 minutes on the risks and chances of getting selected in different competitive examinations. So much competition. Fear is instilled into the minds of the students from the very beginning. Everything is around fear. If they are not able to get enrolment in a professional course , they wi...

Kurukshetra Within Ourselves

I watched the Netflix series Kurukshetra today. It's a wonderfully made series and, in fact, made me recall my childhood series of the Mahabharata that used to be telecast on DD. Mahabharata is magical. The most magical thing about the Mahabharata is that it has no straitjacket definition of Dharma . The entire battle of Kurukshetra is for Dharma, and everybody feels that he is fighting the battle for Dharma.  When Bhishma realises that Vichitravirya needs to be married, he goes to the Swamvara of Amba, Ambika, and Ambalika and forcefully brings them to Hastinapur . Ambika and Ambalika are married to Vichitravirya, while Amba carries out penance to take revenge on Bhishma. Why did Bhishma bring these three girls against their wishes to Hastinapur? If Vichitravirya wanted to marry, he should have shown courage and participated in the Swamvara. After all, Swamvara meant that the girls wanted to marry the most courageous person. Bhishma deprived them of their rights for his attac...