Skip to main content

दिल के ख़ुश रखने को 'ग़ालिब' ये ख़याल अच्छा है

We take the body for granted. I had a severe stomach infection and visited the doctor. The doctor tried to determine the cause of the disease by asking about the symptoms and medical history. They gave me some antibiotics to cure the disease. I wonder what a complicated machine this body is. It is constantly under attack, and the immune system is working 24*7. A slight lapse in the immune system, and we fall ill. Then we take antibiotics, and the bacteria that entered our body are attacked, and we get relieved of the infection. Meanwhile, different organs of the body continue to function. The heart keeps supplying blood to different parts of the body, and the lungs keep supplying oxygen.

In the hospital, I was near the oncology department and saw some patients lying on a stretcher. Some were old, and some were young. All the organs of the body work in coordination. Somehow, once this coordination stops, even doctors can't do much. The body is such complicated machinery. There are trillions of cells in the human body, and even within each cell, many organelles and processes are at work. We are hardly aware of what goes on inside these cells. When we have food, we are just aware of the taste and are not conscious of what happens to the food inside our stomach. We are not conscious of its absorption into the blood. We are not at all aware of what happens inside the cells. But trillions of cells are busy doing their work to make life possible. 

I really wonder whether all human beings, animals, plants, and the whole of the ecosystem are operating without any intelligence? How is it possible for trillions of cells to coordinate with each other? We are not at all conscious, yet these trillions of cells coordinate perfectly, and we hardly learn about this unless we fall ill. The perfect distance of Earth from the Sun, its perfect tilt on its axis, the climate, weather, and so many things that make life possible seem quite strange. The combined intelligence of human beings has yet to determine whether there is life after death. 

Despite knowing too little, human beings very often display vulgar arrogance. Most people will have great conviction in what their society has told them. They will not take even a minute to ridicule somebody who refuses to follow those generally accepted social standards mindlessly. Some people have great confidence in their intelligence and feel they can solve the world's problems. When I try to imagine the size of the universe, I sometimes feel that the bacteria that enter my stomach are thinking just like us. It would be thinking that it is the king of the universe, and then, suddenly, one antibacterial pill would enter the stomach and show those bacteria their real place. Are human beings stronger than those bacteria in a cosmos where even light takes 93 billion years to travel from one side to the other? From quantum to cosmos, who makes this whole universe run? I don't think that human intelligence can have answers to this. Yet, we are all so sure of our purpose in life. 

"हम को मालूम है जन्नत की हक़ीक़त लेकिन
दिल के ख़ुश रखने को 'ग़ालिब' ये ख़याल अच्छा है" 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Awareness

 I presented a paper on Vipassana long back at Delhi University, and at that time, a professor there asked me a question: "Who realises the temporality of the sensations when we practice Vipassana: the mind or something else?" That question stayed with me. I told him about my experience in Estonia. Once, I went on an office tour in Estonia, where it was extremely cold at around -15 degrees. I walked outdoors for quite a long time and developed severe stomach pain. With no medicines available to me and no doctor to visit, I sat in Vipassana and began observing sensations. After about an hour of observation, the pain disappeared. I told him that I don't know whether that was a realisation of the mind or something else, but the same brain that experienced pain some time back had no pain after some time.  The question is who was feeling the pain and where that pain disappeared after observation. When we sit in Vipassana, our minds are full of so many thoughts. Usually, our m...

A "home" decorated with "bonsai"

 Somebody gifted a plant sometime back. When I look at the plant on the Table, it appears to me as if the plant had the potential to grow into a big tree, but we confined the little plant within the limits of the pot, and it has grown strangely. It has a thick stem but has small leaves and branches. We have designed the plants to look the way we like. What "I" want is more important than what the "plant" is. The plant will grow the way "I" like it to grow. And then, "I" would also claim that "I" love the plant.  Yesterday, I went to a coaching institute to get some test series for a competitive exam for my daughter. The guide there spoke for around 40-45 minutes on the risks and chances of getting selected in different competitive examinations. So much competition. Fear is instilled into the minds of the students from the very beginning. Everything is around fear. If they are not able to get enrolment in a professional course , they wi...

Kurukshetra Within Ourselves

I watched the Netflix series Kurukshetra today. It's a wonderfully made series and, in fact, made me recall my childhood series of the Mahabharata that used to be telecast on DD. Mahabharata is magical. The most magical thing about the Mahabharata is that it has no straitjacket definition of Dharma . The entire battle of Kurukshetra is for Dharma, and everybody feels that he is fighting the battle for Dharma.  When Bhishma realises that Vichitravirya needs to be married, he goes to the Swamvara of Amba, Ambika, and Ambalika and forcefully brings them to Hastinapur . Ambika and Ambalika are married to Vichitravirya, while Amba carries out penance to take revenge on Bhishma. Why did Bhishma bring these three girls against their wishes to Hastinapur? If Vichitravirya wanted to marry, he should have shown courage and participated in the Swamvara. After all, Swamvara meant that the girls wanted to marry the most courageous person. Bhishma deprived them of their rights for his attac...