Skip to main content

What is love

The whole world is mad about a magical world of "love". Hollywood to Bollywood, thousands of movies have been made with the theme of love. "I love you" would be the most spoken three words in this world. I recall my school and college days. So many of us were deeply in "love" with a friend; we do not even know their whereabouts today. We keep falling in love time and again with people, things, and activities. People whom we love spending time with, things we like to have, and activities we like to do. But where is love? Probably the right question is: "What is love?"

Probably one of the most difficult questions to answer. Or maybe the easiest. Because it can't be answered; it can only be felt. A fundamental question is: can "I" ever love "you"? If "I" and "you" are different, how can there be love? I often pondered this question in my childhood. Then weird ideas would come to my mind. Suppose there is a disaster, an earthquake, or a fire; would I be able to give away "my" life to save the lives of "family members"? I was not sure. Is there space for "I" in love? Is there any space for self-respect in love? If not, isn't that love blind, and isn't it prone to exploitation?

I feel that love means "being together without boundaries". Generally, when we interact with somebody or stay with them, we have our own ego boundaries. We do not share the deepest of secrets and maintain some "me space" where we do not allow even the closest of people. Why? Because we feel vulnerable in that zone; we need 100% trust in the other person to allow entry into that space. Kids have their own "me space", and so do parents vis-à-vis their children. If you allow someone into this space and you get ditched, that's really painful, and that's why most people do not muster the courage to bare themselves before anyone. Even if somebody is quite extroverted, there would always be a secret chamber that he would not like to share with anybody. When we develop trust in somebody and take him to this secret chamber, we feel very good. We feel as if the heavy weight inside our heart has been lifted. However, that makes one extremely attached to the other. He wants to possess that person and not share them with others. That's when jealousy lays the eggs. If he feels the other person is growing closer to someone else, he becomes insecure and jealous. 

But where is the space for jealousy in love? That's why we come back to the same question: "Can ego ever love?" Yes, ego can extend to another person, a few people, or even a community. But is that love? For love, one needs to be secure. So long as there is seeking, how can there be love? Till that seeking continues, one is just hunting for the person who can make him feel secure. Love is a distant dream till seeking continues. Love means merger. One has to let go of himself to explore the viewpoint of the other, to listen to his life story, to experiment with him, to create new things. It can't be done when somebody is tight, when somebody has already found some meaning in life and is trying to use the other as a tool to enrich his own life. Love demands complete ego-lessness, where one trusts the other completely despite everything, and when both share the same drive to explore. It is because love and exploration have the same origin. Understanding the source from which we have come. The consciousness, which is extremely creative, and so are we. Once we understand that, why would we be confined to a fixed frame, a mould, or a routine? We would melt all the moulds and love any and everybody who is not fixed to self-image. One who wishes to challenge himself, listen to others mindfully, and is willing to explore and create new possibilities. I feel that "love" is never between "I" and "You"; rather, awareness of the reality of self makes us love everybody who is in the process of exploration. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Awareness

 I presented a paper on Vipassana long back at Delhi University, and at that time, a professor there asked me a question: "Who realises the temporality of the sensations when we practice Vipassana: the mind or something else?" That question stayed with me. I told him about my experience in Estonia. Once, I went on an office tour in Estonia, where it was extremely cold at around -15 degrees. I walked outdoors for quite a long time and developed severe stomach pain. With no medicines available to me and no doctor to visit, I sat in Vipassana and began observing sensations. After about an hour of observation, the pain disappeared. I told him that I don't know whether that was a realisation of the mind or something else, but the same brain that experienced pain some time back had no pain after some time.  The question is who was feeling the pain and where that pain disappeared after observation. When we sit in Vipassana, our minds are full of so many thoughts. Usually, our m...

A "home" decorated with "bonsai"

 Somebody gifted a plant sometime back. When I look at the plant on the Table, it appears to me as if the plant had the potential to grow into a big tree, but we confined the little plant within the limits of the pot, and it has grown strangely. It has a thick stem but has small leaves and branches. We have designed the plants to look the way we like. What "I" want is more important than what the "plant" is. The plant will grow the way "I" like it to grow. And then, "I" would also claim that "I" love the plant.  Yesterday, I went to a coaching institute to get some test series for a competitive exam for my daughter. The guide there spoke for around 40-45 minutes on the risks and chances of getting selected in different competitive examinations. So much competition. Fear is instilled into the minds of the students from the very beginning. Everything is around fear. If they are not able to get enrolment in a professional course , they wi...

Kurukshetra Within Ourselves

I watched the Netflix series Kurukshetra today. It's a wonderfully made series and, in fact, made me recall my childhood series of the Mahabharata that used to be telecast on DD. Mahabharata is magical. The most magical thing about the Mahabharata is that it has no straitjacket definition of Dharma . The entire battle of Kurukshetra is for Dharma, and everybody feels that he is fighting the battle for Dharma.  When Bhishma realises that Vichitravirya needs to be married, he goes to the Swamvara of Amba, Ambika, and Ambalika and forcefully brings them to Hastinapur . Ambika and Ambalika are married to Vichitravirya, while Amba carries out penance to take revenge on Bhishma. Why did Bhishma bring these three girls against their wishes to Hastinapur? If Vichitravirya wanted to marry, he should have shown courage and participated in the Swamvara. After all, Swamvara meant that the girls wanted to marry the most courageous person. Bhishma deprived them of their rights for his attac...