Skip to main content

Awareness of the Source

A potter makes many different things from the same clay, each with very different uses. While we use a matka to cool the water, we use a clay pan to cook food. It is the same clay used to make both of them, but they have very different functions. Plastic granules are used to make so many different things. We can make plastic chairs from those granules, as well as the water tank at the top of the building. We get so many different pictures on the TV screen. They are nothing but tiny dots on the screen that are illuminated based on the program being broadcast. 

Similarly, we have so many different thoughts all throughout the day. These thoughts are nothing but the movement of electrons in different parts of the brain. Different people feel happy or sad with different things. It all depends on how we were born and brought up, and how we have perceived different experiences. The same situation may be perceived as a challenge by one and as danger by the other, as good by one and as bad by the other. It seems very real. When a child feels very tense because of a fight with his best friend, the parents know they will be reunited the very next day. But the tension is real for the child. His brain makes him feel sad about the loss of his best friend. What is it really? Just certain movement of the electrons in the brain that may excite certain sensations in the body that make us feel uncomfortable.

When we look at the things and thoughts in isolation, they look very different. Some things and some thoughts look very exciting and make us feel good, while others make us feel bad. But all of them share the same origin. Devas and Danavas also share the same origin. That's why, in Indian mythology, Mukti is not exclusive to Devas. Danavas also get Mukti. What is this Mukti? It's just merging with the whole, when there is no division between the unit and the whole. Like a drop of water merging with the ocean. The bigger challenge is whether this drop can realise, while being only a drop, that it is part of the ocean and therefore shed its fears and insecurities as a unit, while being the unit. I think that's the biggest challenge in this world, and only very few have been able to do it.

When we enter the cinema hall and the lights are off, we get completely lost in the movie. We laugh as well as cry with the scenes. We get so immersed in the movie that we forget our real-life problems for 2-3 hours. The same thing happens when we enter this body. We identify so strongly with the sensations in different parts of the body and the thoughts in the brain that we forget ourselves, our real nature. Remembrance of the whole, or the ocean, while being in this body is the biggest challenge in this world. Generally, we feel an unpleasant sensation or thought and want to quickly turn towards a pleasant one. That strengthens our sense of division between the two. The more we get engaged in these escapes, the more we are distant from the whole. Constant awareness of the whole if the key to get rid of illusions. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Awareness

 I presented a paper on Vipassana long back at Delhi University, and at that time, a professor there asked me a question: "Who realises the temporality of the sensations when we practice Vipassana: the mind or something else?" That question stayed with me. I told him about my experience in Estonia. Once, I went on an office tour in Estonia, where it was extremely cold at around -15 degrees. I walked outdoors for quite a long time and developed severe stomach pain. With no medicines available to me and no doctor to visit, I sat in Vipassana and began observing sensations. After about an hour of observation, the pain disappeared. I told him that I don't know whether that was a realisation of the mind or something else, but the same brain that experienced pain some time back had no pain after some time.  The question is who was feeling the pain and where that pain disappeared after observation. When we sit in Vipassana, our minds are full of so many thoughts. Usually, our m...

A "home" decorated with "bonsai"

 Somebody gifted a plant sometime back. When I look at the plant on the Table, it appears to me as if the plant had the potential to grow into a big tree, but we confined the little plant within the limits of the pot, and it has grown strangely. It has a thick stem but has small leaves and branches. We have designed the plants to look the way we like. What "I" want is more important than what the "plant" is. The plant will grow the way "I" like it to grow. And then, "I" would also claim that "I" love the plant.  Yesterday, I went to a coaching institute to get some test series for a competitive exam for my daughter. The guide there spoke for around 40-45 minutes on the risks and chances of getting selected in different competitive examinations. So much competition. Fear is instilled into the minds of the students from the very beginning. Everything is around fear. If they are not able to get enrolment in a professional course , they wi...

Do we love anybody?

Are we competent to love? It seems a very strange statement in the first instance. Do we need any competence to love? Love seems so natural. But the strange thing is that most of us do not love even ourselves. Do we? What do we love? Our self-image, our beliefs, body, and ambitions. "I" am good, and the others should appreciate me for being good. "I" believe in a particular thought or religion, and consider myself to be a sum-total of these thoughts and beliefs. "I" and my body, and therefore want to protect the body and become anxious whenever there is a threat to the body or a disease that does not get cured. "I" also become happy when this body feels instinctive pleasure, such as after eating tasty food, doing shopping, travelling to a place "I" like. "I" am my ambitions and work hard to achieve my targets. What is love, on the other hand? Love is a complete merger. When there is no difference between "I" and ...