Skip to main content

A Short Break from the Race

Each one of us knows that if the whole of the world moves in the direction of spirituality, the world will be the most beautiful place to live. What if everybody is full of love and compassion? Would people with billions of dollars and rupees in their accounts sleep peacefully when they know that billions of people are dying of hunger? With their hearts full of love, they will make every effort to help those dying of hunger. Why would there be terror and exploitation when the heart of everybody is full of love and compassion? 

When the solution is so easy, why are we shying away from the same? There are two fundamental reasons for the same. First, we are not sure about others. Many countries decided to give away their nuclear arms and focus on economic development. But then they were attacked by greedy countries. The same thing happens in life. We have been driven by love and compassion, but the people around us have started manipulating us and treating us as their tools. That's why we have to act smart to defend ourselves. Thus, unless the entire ecosystem changes, it is difficult to drop our defence. 

The second reason is more common. The traps appear harmless at first. We start with apparently harmless pleasures, then get caught in the trap. Further, so many of these traps are socially acceptable, which makes it difficult to see through them. Going to a marriage function is quite an innocent pleasure. We get to meet our relatives and friends and bless the occasion. In fact, not attending such functions is considered a social crime. We go to these functions to eat good food and have fun. Some dance with the DJ as well. The place is full of laughter, and we feel good. It looks like a very innocent pleasure. Now let's examine the subtle consequences. What's happening inside the mind? A subtle desire to organise a similar function is taking birth inside our minds. We start calculating the expenditure and make provision for organising a similar function for our kids. We work day in and day out to earn money. So many anxieties come to mind. All the appreciation and social validation come with riders. What if we are not able to organise that well? What if our child decides to do a court marriage? What if he or she decides to marry someone from a different religion or caste? How will we face the people? What if people compare our function with others? What if people find fault with the food and arrangements?

The innocent pleasure of attending the wedding ceremony is like a seed that grows into the entire forest of insecurities in our minds. Then, such insecure people would not hesitate to earn money through corruption or adopt unfair trade practices to gain an unfair advantage over others. There is a fight for resources across the world to the extent that certain countries make other countries their colonies to suck their resources. 

We will keep making decisions out of fear until there is a threat to security. We will keep being tempted by the innocent pleasures until we experience the source of joy. Until then, the greatest cause of our sufferings will be the deprivation of materialistic pleasures. Is there any way out? The solution lies in the problem itself. We are disconnected from the inner world, and that's why we run after the outer things. We just need to take a break. In that state of silence, we glimpse the inner world. We can't see deep into the lake when there are waves on the surface. When the water on the surface is silent, we get to see the depths of our being. Once we see that, we feel like diving deep into that. We just need to create that space. That space can't be created till we keep running after one or the other desire. That's why, to begin with, we need to take a short break from this race to go to some serene place where we have time for ourselves to contemplate the meaning of life. Once we encounter reality, even for a brief moment, there is no moving away from the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field of Awareness

 I presented a paper on Vipassana long back at Delhi University, and at that time, a professor there asked me a question: "Who realises the temporality of the sensations when we practice Vipassana: the mind or something else?" That question stayed with me. I told him about my experience in Estonia. Once, I went on an office tour in Estonia, where it was extremely cold at around -15 degrees. I walked outdoors for quite a long time and developed severe stomach pain. With no medicines available to me and no doctor to visit, I sat in Vipassana and began observing sensations. After about an hour of observation, the pain disappeared. I told him that I don't know whether that was a realisation of the mind or something else, but the same brain that experienced pain some time back had no pain after some time.  The question is who was feeling the pain and where that pain disappeared after observation. When we sit in Vipassana, our minds are full of so many thoughts. Usually, our m...

A "home" decorated with "bonsai"

 Somebody gifted a plant sometime back. When I look at the plant on the Table, it appears to me as if the plant had the potential to grow into a big tree, but we confined the little plant within the limits of the pot, and it has grown strangely. It has a thick stem but has small leaves and branches. We have designed the plants to look the way we like. What "I" want is more important than what the "plant" is. The plant will grow the way "I" like it to grow. And then, "I" would also claim that "I" love the plant.  Yesterday, I went to a coaching institute to get some test series for a competitive exam for my daughter. The guide there spoke for around 40-45 minutes on the risks and chances of getting selected in different competitive examinations. So much competition. Fear is instilled into the minds of the students from the very beginning. Everything is around fear. If they are not able to get enrolment in a professional course , they wi...

Do we love anybody?

Are we competent to love? It seems a very strange statement in the first instance. Do we need any competence to love? Love seems so natural. But the strange thing is that most of us do not love even ourselves. Do we? What do we love? Our self-image, our beliefs, body, and ambitions. "I" am good, and the others should appreciate me for being good. "I" believe in a particular thought or religion, and consider myself to be a sum-total of these thoughts and beliefs. "I" and my body, and therefore want to protect the body and become anxious whenever there is a threat to the body or a disease that does not get cured. "I" also become happy when this body feels instinctive pleasure, such as after eating tasty food, doing shopping, travelling to a place "I" like. "I" am my ambitions and work hard to achieve my targets. What is love, on the other hand? Love is a complete merger. When there is no difference between "I" and ...